Energy vs Utility Audit: Which One Is Right for Your Business?

In today’s uncertain economy, businesses constantly seek ways to cut costs and improve their bottom line. One area that can significantly impact a company’s expenses is utilities. Utility bills, including electric, gas, water, sewer, waste, and telecommunications, can be one of the top operating expenses for many businesses. Unfortunately, errors in billing are all too common. 4 out of 5 commercial or industrial companies are over-billed by utilities at some point. This is where utility audits come in, but what’s the difference between a utility bill audit and an energy audit?

An ENERGY AUDIT is normally an assessment of energy use and the efficiency of a company’s facilities and equipment to determine how the energy is consumed. This includes the building itself, assessing equipment, lights, heat, and HVAC, and identifying areas where energy is wasted. An ENERGY AUDIT is used to establish a benchmark of energy consumption, and it’s an engineering approach used to focus on consumption, efficiency, and ways to reduce energy consumption. The process involves site visits, designated staff to assist, process/operational adjustments, and possibly capital expenditures.

On the other hand, a UTILITY BILL AUDIT involves the review of a company’s utility bills to ensure that they are being billed correctly and not overcharged based on the rules, regulations, tariffs, and contracts. This in-depth review analyzes an organization’s utility invoices and may uncover over 30 obscure discrepancies. A utility bill audit aims to ask if the company is receiving a competitive price and whether they are being billed correctly or overcharged. A Utility Bill Audit doesn’t involve the time, staffing, and business interruption that an energy audit may involve.

While both types of audits can save a company money, a UTILITY BILL AUDIT has several advantages over an ENERGY AUDIT. It requires less time, human resources, and business interruption and does not typically involve capital expenditures. That’s why Tenurgy, a Michigan-based telecom and utility expense management firm, specializes in utility bill audits. With over 65 years of combined UTILITY AUDITING EXPERIENCE, Tenurgy has successfully helped 90% of its clients realize annual savings. As for the other 10% of clients, they find peace of mind in knowing that their utility bills are accurate and competitive.

Tenurgy continues monitoring the bills to ensure all adjustments remain in place while looking for additional future savings opportunities. So, take the first step with Tenurgy and start saving with zero risk, little time, no business interruption, and no out-of-pocket expenses.

If you want to cut costs and improve your bottom line, contact Tenurgy today and start saving.